Final Fantasy XIV is now in the early access phase of the long-awaited Endwalker expansion. The Final Fantasy XIV community has been indulging in everything new the game has to offer. New and old players work their way through quests and level up while enjoying the beautiful atmosphere the experience has always had. However, some players have encountered issues downloading the update and the patch itself. This guide article will tell you how to fix “Failed to download patch files” error to start update download and what the error actually is.
What is the "Could not update patch files" error
The error itself is related to the inability to download/update patch files as mentioned above. This particular issue has appeared in major content updates for Final Fantasy XIV and is likely related to the large amount of content added to the game in a single update file.
However, there are common fixes that can be deployed by yourself for your platform. The following fix in this article will hopefully help fix the problem for you and allow you to download the fix without further problems.
How to Fix "Unable to Download Patch Files"
In order to fix the error, try one or all of the following steps:
- Restart the Final Fantasy XIV launcher or your platform-specific console and see if that fixes the problem
- Restart your router then try downloading the patch
- If you're playing on PC, try running the Final Fantasy XIV launcher as administrator
- Change your DNS settings, for example, try Google DNS which is 184.108.40.206 as primary DNS and 220.127.116.11 as secondary DNS.
- Disable your firewall while trying to download the update as this may block it
- Reset permissions by deleting the folder titled "4e9a232b" in the Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn folder. In File Explorer, go to 'Documents', 'My Games', 'Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn', Downloads, then 'patch' and delete the '4e9a232b' folder as mentioned. Now try downloading the update again. This particular method has been common to fix the issue faced by gamers.
These methods should prevent the error from occurring and you can recover all of your valuable mounts and experience upgrading with everyone. It should be noted that the last fix would be attempted as a last resort.
Final Fantasy XIV is available now on PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5.