Mojang released the update patch notes 1.17.1 for Minecraft Java Edition. Minecraft has remained one of the most supported and constantly evolving titles in gaming history, with many massive updates every year. This particular update comes after the recent Caves & Cliffs: Part 1 update and focuses on fixing a lot of bugs (42 of them), but also includes some minor tweaks to mob behavior, drops and snow.
Bedrock Edition is slightly behind Java Edition, so Bedrock players will likely have to wait a bit to receive these changes. A 1.17.1 update has already been released for Nintendo Switch which fixed Switch server issues, so those playing on this platform should not confuse their game version with this Java Edition update. No information has been revealed as to when Bedrock Edition will receive these changes.
Minecraft Update 1.17.1 Patch Notes
These patch notes are taken directly from the official Minecraft site.
CHANGES IN 1.17.1
- Blue axolotls can now only be obtained through breeding
- Non-screaming goats now have a rare chance to produce a screaming goat when mated
- Status effects on goats now also apply when the goat jumps or rams
- Drowned copper ingot drop rate increased to 11% + 2% per loot level
- Powder snow now fills cauldrons 2x faster than before (still quite slow, though!)
- Zombies, Zombie Villagers, Pods, and Drowned will no longer pick up glowing ink bags
TECHNICAL CHANGES IN 1.17.1
- Deaths of named monsters are now logged
- In case of DNS-based redirect, the client will send the actual hostname used to connect (this restores pre-1.17 behavior)
FIXED BUGS IN 1.17.1
- MC-123654 – “Sun, moon and/or clouds don't show if render distance is less than 4”
- MC-131290 – “Enchantments are saved as shorts, but are loaded and work with integer values”
- MC-156155 – Turkish lira sign (₺) appears as □ in game
- MC-194736 – Duplicate text mapping for U+00B7
- MC-196999 – U+1FEC is wrong in Minecraft font
- MC-213986 – Pistons and dispensers can be used to create ghost blocks using powder.
- MC-219018 – Ghost items can be created using /item (server does not update client inventory correctly)
- MC-219290 – Calcite is too quiet compared to other blocks
- MC-221656 – Creative mode obtained Bucket of axolotl/tropical fish only spawns one type of axolotl/tropical fish.
- MC-222731 – Captured axolotl constantly tries to leave water
- MC-223350 – Loaded chunks sometimes only render when the player moves their head slightly.
- MC-223368 – Strength and weakness potions / custom attack damage attributes do not modify goat damage
- MC-224894 – Light tickets are released too early
- MC-225816 – Hanging roots appear large when an object entity
- MC-226461 – Logs can be replaced with stone near lava pools
- MC-226505 – Goat long jump not affected by jump boost effect.
- MC-226512 – Goats don't use damage from held items when ramming entities.
- MC-226926 – Emerald ore spawns too often
- MC-226948 – Garrote is now affected by potion effects.
- MC-227387 – World generation datapacks will likely crash or lock the game.
- MC-227435 – Lag when placing heads of non-existent players on servers
- MC-227483 – root_system feature config codec uses wrong field
- MC-227520 – Overworld fossils always generate at bedrock.
- MC-227557 – End portal texture looks stretched after world conversion
- MC-227618 – Small drip leaf is consumed without being placed when used on tall seagrass.
- MC-227651 – Group for lapis lazuli ore smelting and blasting recipes is misspelled
- MC-227821 – Client crash when trying to create/modify a domain immediately after deleting the previous one
- MC-227891 – Ender pearls disappear when player disconnects from a server
- MC-228219 – Thrown ender pearls disappear when entering exit end portal
- MC-228343 – java.lang.NullPointerException when default feature random_selector is not found
- MC-228430 – “Very long loading pause when starting game (“Could not add PDH counter”, caused by oshi)”
- MC-228599 – Attempting to walk in flowing water constantly switches player from swimming mode to normal mode.
- MC-228802 – "Songs don't load on a server / Can't invoke 'cmq.a(int, int, int)' because ''' is null''
- MC-228828 – “Specifying the –server parameter when starting the game crashes the game”
- MC-228858 – Axolotls disappear while named and on a leash.
- MC-229169 – Piglins can no longer hear players breaking shielded blocks through walls.
- MC-229191 – Diamond ore distribution changed between 1.16.5 and 1.17
- MC-229246 – Piglins and piglin bullies no longer call other piglins after attacking one from behind walls.
- MC-229299 – Blue axolotls can spawn naturally
- MC-229441 – You can steal the item a villager is holding for trade by killing them.
- MC-229614 – Tropical fish obtained from wandering merchant are only white kob.
- MC-230716 – """death.attack.dryout"" and ""death.attack.dryout.player"" show raw translation strings (are not translated)"
While there aren't any massive game-changing tweaks or fixes listed in the Update 1.17.1 patch notes, these minor fixes add up over time and will allow for better gaming experience while waiting for the next major update. It also reduces the load of the next major update, to allow it to focus on major new additions. This update is available to all players, effective immediately.
Minecraft Java Edition is available for PC.
GAME DEALSGet Twitch Prime for free now and get free in-game items, rewards and games