It's amazing how many fishing spots you'll come across in Tales of Arise before you even know how to fish! Tales of Arise has plenty of beautiful sights to visit, but since the world is very organic in design, things like owls, fishing spots, and rocks you can smash are all already there from the start. While fishing is explained in as much detail as how to unlock Artes or even change outfits, there's still a lot to know to really get good at it. Here's everything we know about how to fish in Tales of Arise.
How to Fish in Tales Of Arise
To fish in Tales of Arise, you will first need to unlock it by progressing enough in the story to add Kisara and Dohalim to your party and reach the Talka Pond Road area. Once there, head to the campsite and you'll trigger a cutscene with Kisara teaching the group how to fish. To fish you will need to locate one of the many fishing spots in the world and cast a line. See below for more information on how to land the big ones.
Cast a line, who knows what you'll find
Fishing is a bit tricky in Tales of Arise compared to other titles, but we're here to help. Each fishing hole only contains certain types of fish. We recommend that you start by knowing what you are looking for first, as this makes the rest easier. Note that when you catch fish you can sell them all and earn a pretty penny, but also be sure to check with the fisherman on Talka Pond Road for free rods/lures as you go. See below for a step-by-step breakdown of how to catch a fish.
Step 1 – Rod/Lure and Fish Selection
- By pressing the Select Rod/Lure control while fishing, you will not only be able to select a rod and lure, but also see what fish are available where you are.
- The rods all have different rarities that seem to affect how easy it is to catch a fish. The higher the rarity, the easier time you will have.
- Lures also have different rarities but only make certain fish easier to catch. If you don't have a lure for the fish you're looking for, use the rarest possible - that seemed to help a bit.
- Looking at the fishing log in the bottom right, each fish you've caught before is highlighted in green while fish you haven't caught yet are highlighted in white.
- Note that the lower a fish is on the list, the rarer the fish and the harder it will be to catch.
- Pay special attention to the button combination next to the fish you want as this will be used later.
Step 2 - Cast the Line
- Once you're ready to start fishing, exit the rod/lure menu and look for places where fish are jumping out of the water or if there are air bubbles.
- Move your line over it and the cast indicator will change from blue to yellow – cast your line there to start fishing.
- Note that you can technically throw anywhere, but throwing into a yellow dot will significantly shorten the next stage and reduce the chances of failure.
Step 3 – Lure
- At this point, you will come across the first fishing mini-game. The goal is to get the fish to move towards the green zone.
- Remember how you checked which buttons to use earlier? Press any button except the Collecting Lure to start the minigame. Your objective is to press each button of the button combination found earlier in time, with the yellow circle overlapping the green circle. For example, if you do the YX combination, you press Y alone when the first circle occurs, then X on the second, then Y again on the third, and so on.
- When you press the button combination for the fish, if the one you are looking for is there, it will show a heart above its head and move forward. If he does it on both pushes, then he's definitely your fish, so keep going.
- There's a bit of randomness here that you can sort of control by pressing the wrong button or not pushing anything at all to cause other fish to back off, but we found it was faster to get everything what was coming and trying again.
Step 4 – Land the catch
- The final stage is where the real battle begins.
- The rod has a tension bar and if it reaches full red you will lose the fish. The goal is to keep it in the green while lowering the fish's health to zero to land the catch.
- During this phase, continue to hold down the winder button (it slows down the degradation of the line) and complete the commands you see on the screen.
- When the rod indicator points to a direction, move your rod in that direction until it is completed.
- Sometimes the fish will jump or jerk, so be prepared to quickly press the on-screen button prompt. Hitting them not only restores tension, but also improves the health of the fish.
- Once you've fought the fish at zero HP, you'll have caught it and landed one of bae Kisara's many awesome poses.
And that's it! Be sure to get all the fish you can once you unlock them, as the fishing spots you found before are now open for trade.
Tales of the Ascension is available now on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S. Check out the rest of our Tales of Arise guides while you're here!